Wednesday, March 11, 2015

DIY Decorative Pillows Part 2

Hello! Today's post is going to be about part 2 of my DIY decorative pillows part 2. I have always wanted gold polk a dot pillows. My first thought was to use regular white material but I thought burlap would be much better. I went looking for them at stores but couldn't find any at the time. So I decided to make my own and I'm sure it would be so much cheaper if I made them myself. Little did I know it would be time consuming! I am still happy with how they turned out. Now that Spring is here I happened to find burlap pillows with gold polk a dots! But they were $20 each and I needed 2 of them.  Making my own, I spent less than half the price. I would say $7. I  am pretty pleased with how they turned out even though it was so time consuming.


Here are the materials I used to make these pillows

18x18 burlap pillowcases (you can buy ones already made at Hobby Lobby)
Pen
Penny
Gold glitter
Gold acrylic paint
Mod Podge
Card board to put inside the pillow cases so the Mod podge wont seep through the other side

With a penny coin trace around it with a pen to make the polk a dots. Keep making them about 1/2 inch apart until the entire pillowcase is covered in polk a dots.


Now you can either "paint" each circle with ModPodge and glitter them or you could do what I did, paint each circle with gold acrylic paint. Make sure you place a card board inside the pillowcase

This is why it was so time consuming for me. After I finished painting each circle and letting them dry I went over them with ModPodge and then placed glitter on all the circles.


The reason I did it this way was because using just modgepodge and glitter, you could see the pen marks a little. Being the pick person that I am, I did not like that. So I painted first with gold paint, modpodged each circle and added the glitter. Once you are done shake off all the glitter into a sheet of paper and clean up. I let that dry about 30 minutes and then added modpodge to each circle again to seal in the glitter and prevent fall out. Let dry for an hour.


Do this to all the pillows you made. Making two was tiresome but as I said earlier it was well worth it and cheaper. Your product is now finished. Hope you enjoyed!

Nayeli

No comments:

Post a Comment