Sunday, March 8, 2015

DIY Decorative Pillows Part 1

Hello all! Lately I have been redecorating my living room changing everything from golds and reds to golds, whites, and blacks. I  have been looking for certain kinds of decorative pillows but they are either too expensive or they didn't have what I was looking for. So, being the crafty girl that I am, I decided to make my own pillows! I made burlap pillows with gold polk a dots and black pillow with a gold heart. One of the pillows I bought already made and it cost $22. I needed a total of 3 so that would have cost $66. Not what I wanted to spend. I will talk about how I made the polk a dot pillows in part 2. This post is about the black with gold heart pillow. Here is what the decorative pillows I made look like.



Making this Gold heart pillow was very easy to make and less time consuming. I don't have a tutorial on how I made these pillows but there are many tutorials on how to make a pillow on Pinterest. I used a sewing machine to make mine. These pillows are 18x18. I bought 1/4 yards of black material to make this pillow. Here is how I made the gold heart. You will need

Gold material (I bought mine at hobby lobby where all the felt material is)
Heart stencil (You can find all kinds of printable heart stencils online)
Marker
Scissors
Hot glue gun/fabric glue
Pillow stuffing

Cut out your heart stencil with scissors

Now that you have your heart stencil cut out flip the gold material over where the white part of the material is. Place your heart stencil on it and trace it with the marker. Then cut the heart out.
Place the gold heart on top of your already made pillow case to see if you like the placement of the heart.
Now turn over the heart to the white part and put hot glue all around the heart quickly and turn it back around to glue it on the pillow case. If the some of the hot glue has already dried and isn't sticking add more glue in there until there are no gaps. Make sure all the edges are glued well to the fabric. Now you can stuff your pillow case with pillow stuffing and sew, hot glue, or seal the opening with fabric glue. Let dry for a while if using fabric glue. Fabric glue can be tricky to work with when closing the opening of the pillow case. What I suggest is using books to put pressure on the side you just glued. Now your pillow is ready to place on your couch or bed. Hope you like this post. In the next post I will show you how I made the polk a dot ones!


 Thank you for reading!

Nayeli 

No comments:

Post a Comment